Call Today 803.359.3301
Lost Wages in a Car Accident Claim

Lost Wages in a Car Accident Claim

You are probably aware that if you’re in a car accident and the other driver is at-fault, you can seek damages for your medical bills and any damage to your vehicle – even if your car has been totaled, you can ask the defendant (at-fault driver) to replace it.

But, what if you had to miss work because of your car accident? For example, what if you spent two weeks in the hospital because of broken bones or a traumatic brain injury? Or, what if you couldn’t work for a week or even a month or longer as you recovered? After all, a serious crash can be so disabling that the plaintiff (injured party) can’t return to work for months or even years, especially in the case of a serious head injury or a coma.

Lost Income in a Car Accident Case

When people file car accident claims against the at-fault drivers who are responsible for hurting them, they can recover lost wages that resulted from the accident. Usually, this is possible when a physical injury, such as a broken arm or leg prevents the plaintiff from doing their job. In these situations, the plaintiff can recover the lost wages they would have received if they had not been in the accident and were still able to work.

To illustrate: If you couldn’t work for the month you were in the hospital and for the two months after you were released because you had multiple broken bones, then you’d be entitled to the amount you would have earned over the three-month period you were in the hospital and at home recovering. Additionally, if you were in a serious crash and you developed other disabling injuries, such as PTSD, which is a psychological injury, you may be able to recover lost wages for that if the accident and PTSD were severe enough.

What About Pre-Existing Injuries?

If you had a pre-existing injury that was aggravated by the accident and it prevented you from working, you may be able to collect damages for lost wages for that as well; it doesn’t have to be a brand-new injury to count. If the crash aggravated your pre-existing injuries and now you are unable to work, you may be able to recover the full lost wages, even though it was an old injury that was aggravated.

Related: What Are Damages in a Personal Injury Case?

To learn more about recovering lost wages in a car accident claim, contact our Columbia, SC personal injury firm for a free case evaluation.


Contact Us Our Firm Today

All Consultations Are Free and Confidential
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.