Call Today 803.359.3301
Workers' Compensation in North Carolina: FAQs

Workers' Compensation in North Carolina: FAQs

If you were recently injured in a work-related accident or if you’re suffering from an occupational disease, and you’re considering filing a workers’ compensation claim, you probably have some questions about the claims process.

To help you better understand what to expect, we’re going to go over some questions that we commonly receive from our workers’ compensation clients. If you have further questions, feel free to reach out to our firm directly for assistance.

What if it’s an emergency, and my employer or their insurance company refuse to let me receive treatment?
If you’re in an accident and it’s an emergency, you can obtain the necessary treatment from a doctor or hospital of your own choosing. However, you must promptly follow that treatment with a request to the Commission for approval. Don’t delay!

How do I report my injury to my employer?
You should report the injury to your employer immediately, and you must do it both orally and in writing. Even though you should do it that day or within 24 hours, you do have up to 30 days, but to err on the side of caution, do it as soon as possible.

Can I choose my doctor?
Unfortunately, you can’t necessarily see the doctor of your choice because you must use the healthcare provider chosen by your employer or their insurance carrier. They are in charge of directing your medical treatment.

If you wish to see a different physician, you can petition the North Carolina Industrial Commission to change doctors, but you’ll have to prove that you have grounds. Unless you obtain written permission to change doctors from the Commission, your employer, or their insurance company, and you receive treatment, payment is not guaranteed. To avoid being on the financially liable for your medical care, be sure to get authorization before you see an unapproved healthcare provider.

Is chiropractic covered?
If your employer gives you permission to see a chiropractor, you will be entitled to 20 chiropractic visits providing they are medically necessary. If you need additional visits, you will have to ask for authorization from your employer.

Next: Workers’ Comp & Third Party Claims

To file a workers’ compensation claim in Columbia, SC, contact the Law Office of James R. Snell, Jr., LLC today.


Contact Us Our Firm Today

All Consultations Are Free and Confidential
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.