If you were recently injured in an accident, you may be wondering, “Do
I need to hire a
personal injury lawyer?” You may or may not need an attorney – it all depends
on whether you have a valid personal injury claim. If your injuries were
very minor, it may not be worth filing a claim for damages. On the other
hand, if you definitely have a valid case, there are several advantages
to hiring an attorney.
So, what does a personal injury lawyer do for the plaintiff (the injured
party)? The personal injury attorney provides their legal expertise and
representation in the plaintiff’s personal injury claim, whether
a settlement is negotiated outside of court, or the case is taken to trial.
What can a personal injury attorney do for you?
- Protect your best interests throughout the case.
- Decide if a settlement or trial is better for you.
- Pursue maximum compensation on your behalf.
- Refuse to accept a low-ball settlement offer.
- Handle all of the paperwork involved.
- Determine how much your case is worth.
- Calculate your past, current and future damages.
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the at-fault party.
- Obtain medical records and fill out forms for you.
- Deal directly with the at-fault party or insurance company on your behalf.
Can I Handle My Own Case?
Should you handle your own personal injury case on your own? It’s
not a good idea. It’s important to remember that insurance companies
are for-profit companies, which means they are not looking out for plaintiffs’
best interests. You can expect the insurance company to play hardball
and to offer you the lowest settlement possible. That’s how they operate.
Since you don’t have experience handling personal injury claims,
you probably won’t know how much your case is actually worth. It
basically places you in a vulnerable position where the insurance company
has the upper hand. In fact, insurance companies love it when people represent
themselves because they know they’ll settle a claim for far less
than it’s worth.
If you were recently injured in an accident, we urge you to
contact our firm to meet with a
Columbia injury attorney for free. We’d be more than glad to answer your questions and further
explain the benefits of experienced legal representation.